The literacy and numeracy catch-up premium gives schools additional funding to support year 7 pupils who did not achieve the expected standard in reading or maths at the end of key stage 2 (KS2). We will receive £500 to support each student identified.
The expected standard was previously level 4 or above at KS2, but is now based on a scaled score. Nominally, below the expected standard would be a scaled score of less than 100. In 2016 to 2017 schools will receive the same overall amount of year 7 catch-up premium funding they received in 2015 to 2016, adjusted to reflect the percentage change in the size of their year 7 cohort, based on the October 2016 census. Last year we received £18,000 so we can expect to receive something similar this academic year.
The strategies employed last year include:
• Taster sessions for students in the summer of year 6, bringing them into school to ensure their transition is as stress free as it can be.
• A year 6 summer school designed to ease the transition of students into year 7.
• Provision of a student support area in the library where students receive 1:1 or small group reading intervention and support.
• Provision of a Maths Study Plus group supported by a teacher and HLTA to ensure our catch-up students have extra support during lessons.
• Provision of a focus group in English, receiving 12 x 1 hour lessons each fortnight with an English specialist (5 extra lessons over a fortnight).
English. By the end of year 7 last year 87% of students who had started below level 4 were now making expected progress. 22% were making more than expected progress. The average reading age for the cohort had risen by 19 months.
Maths. By the end of year 7 last year 100% of students who had started below level 4 were now making expected progress. 14% were making more than expected progress.
We will continue to develop our strategies to ensure all students are able to access our broad and balanced curriculum to succeed on their chosen pathway.
If you would like more information about the catch up funding please contact Mr Rabey through the school.